If you want to eat less meat but are a little freaked out by packaged fake meat products, then making your own meatless sausages at home might just be the thing for you. It might seem scary at first, but once you’ve gathered all your ingredients, there is hardly any work to be done at all.
For this recipe, you will need:
1/2 large white onion
1 clove of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of cumin and fennel seeds
1/4 cup of cooked chickpeas and sparkling water
1 tablespoon of tomato paste and soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of thyme and smoked paprika
and 3/4 cup of vital wheat gluten
- Saute the garlic and onion together until they are soft.
- Add the cumin and fennel seeds to toast them for just a minute.
- Add in all of the ingredients, including the cooked ones, into a food processor, except for the vital wheat gluten.
- Process everything until well combined and then add in the vital wheat gluten until a ball forms.
- Take the ball out and divide it into 4 pieces.
- Roll the pieces in sausage shapes and then roll each in parchment paper and then tin foil.
- Steam in a few inches of boiling water for 20 minutes on each side.
- Allow them to cool and then use as you please!