Trail mix is the perfect snack as it’s both sweet and salty and it’s easy to make your own and customize it with your favorite treats. Between nuts, oats, seeds, dried fruits, and chocolate, it’s a versatile snack that no two batches end up being the same. These cookies take your love of trail mix up a notch and feel free to get creative with the ingredients by swapping out or adding what you like.
- 1 1/2 cups assorted raw nuts and seeds
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup assorted dried fruit
- 3/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate bars or chips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and place racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Toast the seed, nuts, and oats, on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing them once, until they’re golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Put them in a medium bowl to cool.
- Mix egg, butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add the dried fruit and chocolate to the nut mixture and combine.
- Give the egg mixture a stir and then put in the flour.
- Mix in the nut mixture until combined and mix-ins are distributed evenly throughout the dough.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Reheat oven to 350 F.
- Scoop 1/3 cup portion of dough to make 12 cookies and press the cookies onto the sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake the cookies and rotate the sheets top to bottom and front to back once, until they’re golden brown, 11-13 minutes. Let them cool on baking sheets.