If you’re a vegan, but still can’t imagine living without cheese, tofu is probably one of the essential foods on your menu. If you’re always looking for new recipes with this protein-rich food, this tasty plant-based bolognese deserves a spot in your recipe book.
Teen food blogger Lenny shared this amazing idea on her blog Vegamelon and made us see bolognese in a whole new light. She transformed this meat-based sauce into something else entirely, by adding one special ingredient to the mix.
Tofu is often seen as a popular meat alternative, so this switch makes a lot of sense. Give it a shot and find out how mouth-watering it is on your own!
- 8 oz dry pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15-oz can crushed tomatoes 425g; or use pureed fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 block firm / extra-firm tofu 200g
- In a pot, boil the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet and add in onion and garlic.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes, then mix in the carrots, celery, and seasoning ingredients (herbs, salt & pepper, chili flakes, tomato paste).
- Incorporate well using a spatula, and cook for 5 more minutes, until fragrant.
- Pour in the tomatoes and use your hands to crumble the tofu into the skillet. Cover the pot, and let simmer for 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the tomato sauce has thickened, remove from heat and season again to taste — adding more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.
- Serve the bolognese on top of your cooked pasta and enjoy!