Are you a fan of mushrooms, but don’t tend to experiment with them too much? Well, maybe it’s time to change things up a bit, and make the crunchiest portobello mushrooms on the market with this tasty recipe.
Food blogger Carlo Cao, who goes by the Instagram name @vegaliciously, shared this delicious idea for preparing your mushrooms by using one special ingredient – panko. You shouldn’t have trouble finding it at your local supermarket or even using bread crumbs to make your own.
The final product is the crunchiest mushroom dish you’ll ever try, and we promise it’s worth a shot!
- 250 g portobello mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 100 g panko
- 1.5 dl coconut oil, for frying
- Rinse mushrooms in water.
- In a bowl place flour, salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic, onion powder, and coriander.
- Little by little stir in milk and water and mix until lumps free. If too thick add more water, if too runny add more flour.
- Place panko in a bowl.
- Dip mushrooms in the wet mixture, then bread them with panko.
- Heat oil over high heat in a frying pan. Once hot fry the mushrooms about 3-4 minutes on each side. Then remove the excess oil on paper towels and add more salt if needed. Serve immediately.