Ginger cake is warm, yummy, and just the sort of treat you want to bite into with a cup of hot cocoa or a glass of mulled wine this winter!
- 4 oz of ginger
- 1 cup of molasses
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 room temperature eggs
- Start by peeling the ginger and either grating it or finely mincing.
- Mix the molasses, sugar, and oil in a large bowl until they’re well incorporated.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, cloves, and black pepper. Whisk further to incorporate.
- Pour the water into a small pot and bring it to a boil. Once boiled, stir in the baking soda, turn the heat off, and pour this into the molasses bowl and mix. Add the ginger too.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and then the eggs one at a time.
- Pour the batter into a parchment-lined cake pan and bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 30 minutes before removing for the pan and enjoy!