Cornbread is a classic American dish that is mostly enjoyed around the holidays but really brightens up any table. It is light, fluffy, and works so well with a variety of meals. It is also really simple to make and doesn’t require much preparation beforehand, so you can make it in a snap and bring it to a dinner, or just enjoy it with any weeknight meal.
For this cornbread, you will need:
1 cup of both cornmeal and all-purpose flour
2/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup of neutral oil
- In a large bowl, stir in all the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Then, pour in all of the wet ingredients, which are the egg, milk, and oil, and mix until a batter comes out.
- Grease a pan or a baking dish and then pour in the mixture.
- Bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes. The cornbread will be done when you stick a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Cut the cornbread into squares and serve with three bean chili, making a stuffing, or serving at a cook out or with a big plate of BBQ.