Time is not always a luxury that one has when it comes to cooking. Sometimes, it’s all about scoffing down something before leaving the house; or making a quick dinner, with the emphasis on “quick”. Enter, the microwave!
This fish dish relies on fresh Asian flavors, with the microwave ensuring that it is steamed speedily. The result is delicately flakey fish that is ready in minutes.
• 1 ½-inch section of ginger
• 2-3 medium green onions
• 1 handful fresh shiitake mushrooms
• 1 handful of fresh coriander
• 1 pound of fish filet
• Sea salt
• 1 tablespoon of rice wine or dry sherry
• 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce
• 3 tablespoons of water
- Peel the ginger and thinly slice it into fine strips. Trim the green onions and cut them, too, into thin strips, as well as the mushrooms.
- Season the fish and set aside. Place the green onions in a dish that can be microwaved, and put the fish on top. Pour on the rice wine and soy sauce, before adding the mushrooms. Pour on the water. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes. Check doneness after 3 minutes by pushing the tip of a knife into the flesh. If there’s no resistance, you’re done. If not, microwave for 30 to 60 seconds longer.
- Serve with fresh coriander.