Refried beans is that perfect comfort food that has tons of flavor, is super creamy, and the perfect addition to any Mexican-style or Tex-Mex meal. Often they will have lard or other kinds of animal fat in them, but you can actually make them vegan and it is still really delicious! Here is an awesome recipe that you can always go to if you’re in a pinch.
- Chop up half an onion finely and cook over medium heat in a pan with olive oil until they’re translucent. Add in a few pinches of salt to extract the water and allow them to cook faster and be more flavorful.
- While that is cooking, drain and rinse two cans of pinto beans and leave to the side.
- Add in 2 cloves of diced garlic into the pot along with chili powder and cumin to your taste. Allow everything to cook for another minute or less.
- Add in the beans and put a lid on the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and use a potato masher or a large fork to smash the beans so that it is mostly smooth but still has a little texture.
- Take the beans off the heat, add cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice and serve with your favorite dishes.