Apple turnovers are a gorgeous pastry to make when you need a sweet treat, a fun surprise brunch item, or just to have around the house. What makes these turnovers so easy is that they utilize store-bought puff pastry instead of homemade, which really saves a lot of time and muscle. Besides the puff pastry, you only need 6 other ingredients to make these incredible desserts!
For this recipe, you will need:
4 medium apples
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Peel, core, and chop the apples. Put them in a pot with all of the ingredients except for the egg and puff pastry.
- On medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer everything for about 5 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Dust some flour on a work surface and roll out the puff pastry. Cut it into 4 squares.
- Mix the egg with 1 teaspoon of water and brush it over the squares.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the center, fold over the corner to make a triangle, and cut slits into the pastry to release the steam.
- Put the triangles onto a cookie sheet and brush with more egg wash.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.