The theory of Occam’s Razor denotes that the simplest solution is almost always the best. Italy’s most traditional salad, the Caprese, requires only three ingredients to make it. The vibrant colors of the tomato, mozzarella, and basil represent the country’s flag, with the dish believed to have originated on the island of Capri. The classic Caprese salad may appear simple, but trust us, it’s the best!
- 3 large tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 handful of basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Cut the tomatoes into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Cut the mozzarella into ¼-inch thick round slices.
- Arrange alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella on a serving platter. Place a basil leaf in between the tomato and mozzarella slices.
- Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Drizzle with olive oil (and balsamic vinegar, if you wish). Serve immediately.