A lot of times dried beans can be scary and intimating. However, chickpeas are by far the easiest dried beans to cook, so you really have no excuse not to cook them. It will also save you money and is healthier than canned chickpeas, so let’s get cooking.
- Start by putting chickpeas in a bowl and cover with water. Allow the chickpeas to soak in the water for at least 12 hours and up to 24, changing the water every few hours if you can.
- Once the chickpeas have had time to soak, drain and rinse them and put them into a pot.
- Cover the chickpeas with a few inches of cold water, add in a bay leaf, put on the lid to the pot, and bring the water to a boil.
- Once it’s boiled, bring it down to a simmer and leave it to cook for about 1 hour.
- While it’s cooking, scrape off the foam that comes to the top whenever you can and throw it away.
- Once the chickpeas have cooked and become soft, drain most of the water and then season it and cook for a few more minutes.
- Save in the fridge for 1-2 weeks or in the freezer for months!