Rutabaga soup is such a delightful celebration of winter. It’s hardy, sweet, and along with carrots, it makes for the best winter treat, and there are only a few ingredients needed!
- Two tablespoons of unsalted butter
- One medium rutabaga
- Two large carrots
- One large onion
- Six cups of the stock of your choice, homemade or storebought
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: a splash of heavy cream
- Rinse the carrots and rutabaga well and then peel them both.
- Cut the rutabaga into a small dice along with the onion. Chop the carrot into thin slices.
- Put the butter into a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and add in all the vegetables.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions are translucent, and season with salt as well.
- Cover the pot for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened significantly.
- Add in the stock and bring to a boil and then down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Let the soup cool before blending it until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and add in more salt or pepper if necessary.
- If you want it to be really rich and creamy, add in a splash of heavy cream right before serving, and enjoy!