This old recipe was found in a box amongst many other traditional recipes. The lemon sponge cake is a twist on the old lemon pudding cake so many of our grandparents made way back when. Because of the simple ingredients, it brings out the naturally sweet flavors that are lacking in today’s chemically enhanced sweet treats.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 lemon, grated rind, and juice
- 1 1/ 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice and rind to the creamed butter.
- Take a separate bowl and beat eggs, adding the milk afterward.
- Add the second mixture to the first one.
- Beat egg whites until fluffy and fold into mixture.
- Pour into souffle dishes and put dishes in a pan of warm water.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for at least five minutes.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and whipped cream if desired.
Now you have the perfect lemony custard cake! You can also do the same steps but in one large dish instead of individual ramekins if you are baking for a large crowd.