With the weather cooling down, fall is the perfect time to host. If you’re having friends over, these marinated olives are the ideal appetizer to get the party off to the right start!
• 1 ½ pounds assorted olives
• ¾ cups good quality extra virgin olive oil
• 1 half of a preserved lemon
• Homemade preserved lemons
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
• 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh rosemary
• 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh thyme
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 dried red chili
- Drain the olives, place them in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Remove the pulp from the preserved lemon and dice finely. Thinly slice the garlic, the chili (with the membrane and seeds removed), and mince the fresh herbs. The bay leaves can be torn into pieces.
- Heat a small pan without any oil over medium-high heat and add the coriander and fennel seeds once hot. Roast for 2-3 minutes until fragrant, shaking the pan occasionally. Add the olive oil and heat for a minute. Remove from the heat and add all the remaining ingredients, except for the olives. Let it sit until the marinade has cooled down.
- Pour the marinade over the olives and stir to combine. Cover the olives and let them sit in the fridge for a week or so to properly absorb the flavor, giving them a shake every couple of days.