Lentils are an awesome product to make vegetarian burgers with because they’re really cheap, nutritious, and cook really quickly without having to be soaked beforehand. These burgers are full of vegetables and fragrant spices, making them perfect for lunch or dinner any day of the week.
- Chop up half a celery stick, one carrot, half an onion, 1 medium sized sweet potato and 2 cloves of garlic. If you don’t have a sweet potato you can use a regular potato.
- Put all the vegetables minus the garlic into a pot with some olive oil and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in chili powder, curry powder, cumin, onion powder, and cook for another minute.
- Throw in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds before putting in a few pinches of salt, 1/2 a cup of green lentils, and 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil and then down to a simmer for 25 minutes.
- Puree in a blender, food processor, or immersion blender and leave to cool before adding 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and 1 egg.
- Mix well and divide the mixture into 4 sections.
- Make each section into a patty shape, fry each side in oil for 4-5 minutes, and serve on a bun with your favorite condiments.