Black limes are a dried lime that is used often in Middle Eastern and Persian cooking to add sourness and round out flavors. You can use black limes in all sorts of recipes to incorporate a different type of acidic flavor, like regular roasted chicken dishes, soups, and even cocktails. Making black limes does take some time, but you hardly do anything to them so it’s worth giving it a try!
- Start by boiling some water and blanching the limes for about 1 minute, and then immediately get them into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Then place them on a baking rack that is positioned over a baking sheet. This will allow the air to circulate under the limes to get them fully cooked evenly.
- Set your oven to the lowest temperature it can go, between 150-200 F, and put the limes in.
- You really don’t have to do much to them once they’re in the oven, just turn them every 4-6 hours maximum.
- They should spend a total of 2 days in the oven, so if no one is home or if you’re asleep, you can turn the oven off but keep them in there.
- When they’re done they should feel hollow and be black on the inside!