When it comes to cakes, ice cream cake is the best one. Sure, you can buy a premade one, but they’re actually really easy to make at home. Birthdays, graduation parties, Mother’s Day, anniversaries—ice cream cakes make every occasion even better. If you’re making one for the first time, follow this step-by-step guide.
- 2 cake layers
- 3 cups of ice cream, at room temperature for 15 minutes
- Crunchy filling (cookies bits, chocolate chips, or crushed brownies)
- Topping for decorating the top of the cake (fudge sauce, meringue, icing, or whipped cream)
- Put one of the cake layers on a chilled sheet tray lined with plastic wrap. Spoon 1.5 cups of softened ice cream on top.
- With a knife or offset spatula, smooth the ice cream so it’s evenly covering the cake layer.
- Top the ice cream with a layer of crunchy filling.
- Top the crunchy filling with the remaining 1.5 cups of ice cream.
- Spread out the ice cream so it’s covering the crunchy layer.
- Top the ice cream with the second cake layer and then place the cake in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the cake is completely frozen.
- Take the cake from the freezer and gently pull the plastic wrap and cake from the pan to remove the plastic wrap.
- Spread the topping over the cake and put it back in the freezer for another hour.