Tomato salsa is a hugely popular dish. It can be used in so many ways and adds so much flavor and freshness. Pico de gallo is a version that uses a few simple but powerful ingredients to create a zingy, tasty dip that complements so many other flavors. Here is an easy recipe, plus some ideas for uses.
- 10 medium tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ – ½ cup of jalapeño peppers
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely slice the onions and garlic and add to a bowl.
- Chop the tomatoes. Remove the stalks before adding them to the bowl.
- If the jalapeños aren’t chopped already then chop them up.
- Add the lime juice and extra virgin olive oil if using and then season with salt and pepper.
- Tear the cilantro leaves into the bowl and mix it all through.
Add to Burritos
There’s nothing better than a hearty, tasty burrito with some super fresh salsa added to the mix. Whether you enjoy a big cheesy, chicken burrito or a satisfying vegan bean one, this salsa will be a great addition.
As a Dip
Simply use to dip some crunchy tortilla chips and veg sticks into, along with some soured cream and guac.