Try this super indulgent and comforting version of the beloved classic.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 8 ounces of macaroni
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the vinegar and stir until dissolved. Leave to cool.
- Put a pot of water to boil, and add the macaroni once the water is bubbling. Reduce heat and simmer for the time stated on the packaging, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and stir thoroughly until all blended. Increase the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Take the sauce off the heat and stir through the cheese and the mustard. With an immersion blender, blitz up the onion and garlic and add this to the sauce.
- Put the drained macaroni in an overproof dish and then stir the sauce mixture through. Top with more shredded cheese and the breadcrumbs, and put in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the top has browned.
- Serve with some greens.